The incredible Apple’s camera makes it easy to create beautiful, hilarious, or fascinating videos on an iPhone. If you’re a frequent videographer, all you have to do is take out your phone and start shooting.
If you generate a lot of videos, you’ll probably have to do a lot of editing, which necessitates learning how to conduct particular editing jobs like cropping.
We will run you through 3 methods on how to crop a video on iPhone using Photos App, iMovie and third-party apps. Additionally, we’ll see the difference between cropping, trimming, and rotating. So, let’s get right into it.
Cropping is Different from Trimming or Rotating
There’s not a whole lot to it. Video Cropping, which is distinct from manual cropping, can be helpful if you want to crop your films to specific aspect ratios. Some applications, such as Instagram, have different aspect ratios. Video Cropping allows you to edit freely. Some clever people have even used it to create a short film of movie quality.
We wanted to draw attention to the difference between cropping and trimming a video. When you trim a video, you control the length of time it plays for. You can simply modify this by tapping the screen and sliding your finger from left to right. Of course, this is dependent on where you want to cut the video (the starting point, endpoint, or middle). If necessary, you can even remove the external frames entirely.
On the other hand, when cropping a movie, you select a particular region that you wish to keep and then erase anything outside of that area. If you’re still confused about how it all works, keep in mind that cropping is not the same as rotating. To assist you, we’ve put together a handy guide on how to rotate an iPhone video, which involves adjusting the entire video to the angles you wish to achieve.
See Also: How to Get Reels on Instagram? Reasons Why You Don’t Have
Can You Fix a Vertical or Horizontal Video by Cropping?
What happens if you capture a vertical video when you need a horizontal one or the other way around?
While this approach isn’t ideal, cropping your photo from perpendicular to flat or horizontal to vertical is simple. The disadvantage is that you’ll miss out on many of the scenes you were attempting to capture. It won’t make a significant difference in most circumstances, but you might lose some essential material. In many cases, simply reshooting your video will suffice.
3 Ways to Crop Video On iPhone
Following are some of the popular ways to crop videos on iPhone easily
1. Cropping Videos on iPhone Using Photos App
Regrettably, you can’t use the iPhone’s Camera app to ‘pre-crop’ videos while they’re being recorded. If you’re running iOS 13 or later (see below if you’re not), you can crop them in the Photos app after they’ve been filmed. This is what you must do:
- Select the video you want to crop in Photos.
- After you’ve opened the video you want, go to the top-right corner of the screen and tap Edit.
- At the bottom of the Edit screen, tap the Crop-Rotate icon. Touch and hold the video’s corner once in Crop mode. Then drag the boundary inwards until you reach the desired spot. Continue cropping with any other corner until you’ve completed.
- In the bottom-right corner, tap Done. The crop is saved as a result of this. If you make a mistake or wish to go back to the original video, go back to the Edit screen and press Edit again, then Revert in the bottom-right corner.
Related: How to Fix Safari Not Playing Videos on Mac
2. Cropping Videos on iPhone Using iMovie
If you don’t have iOS 13 or later, iMovie is a first-party alternative to Photos. This is typically pre-downloaded on your iPhone. If you do not have it yet, you can install it from the App Store.
Here’s how to crop videos in iMovie once they’ve been downloaded:
- To begin, open iMovie and start a new project.
- Select the movie you want to crop from the Movie menu. Then, at the bottom of the screen, hit Create Movie.
- Tap your video as it shows in the bottom half of the screen on the timeline. Then, hit the little Zoom symbol in the top-right corner of the screen (which looks like a magnifying glass).
- To zoom in or out of the video, pinch it in or out (this effectively crops it). When you’re finished, tap Done in the top-left corner of the screen.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the Action (Share) icon (which looks like a square with an arrow pointing vertically). Finally, select Save Video to save your newly cropped video to your Camera Roll.
It’s also worth noting that, compared to Photos, iMovie offers the advantage of preserving your video’s original aspect ratio.
3. Cropping Videos on iPhone Using Third Party Apps (Free)
You’ll need to utilize a third-party app to crop a video – to remove parts of the movie to better frame the scene. Remove a bothersome element from the edge of the frame, or simply modify the aspect ratio for Instagram.
There are various video editing apps for iOS. Still, video Crop is a free and reliable app that allows you to cut a video. Here’s how you crop a video on your iPhone with it.
- Download Video Crop from the App Store and open it.
- You’ll need to give Video Crop permission to access your photographs the first time you use them. “OK” should be tapped.
- Select the video that you’d like to crop. To find your films more easily, touch “All Photos” at the top of the screen and select a different folder, such as “Videos.”
- In the lower-left corner of the screen, tap “Crop.”
- In the video, you’ll notice a cropping grid. Drag the grid’s boundaries to crop the video to your liking, then move the grid around the screen to capture only the parts you want. You can tap one of the aspect ratios at the bottom of the screen to keep a specified aspect ratio, such as square for Instagram or 16:9 for television.
- To save the video, tap “Done.”
- Select how you want to share it by tapping the Share button in the top right corner of the screen. You can save the video to your phone, send it via email, or share it on Facebook, among other options.
Related: How to Trim a Sound on TikTok in 2022
Use Video Crop App (Available Free on App Store)
If you want an app that offers a particular editing feature, you ought to check out Video Crop – Crop and Resize Video.
Video Crop is as of now totally free and available on iPhone and iPad. With Video Crop, you will have all the answers regarding editing video on iPhone. It has the basic capabilities and capacities for doing so.
- Install Video Crop from the App Store and then start it.
- Select your desired video clip from the memory by tapping the All-Photos section of the screen.
- In the lower-left corner of the screen, click the Crop button.
Use InShot Video Crop App (Available Free on App Store)
Among the video cropping apps, InShot has some simple-to-use features for video making and modifying. You can edit and crop high-quality 360-degree videos with your cellphones and share them via social media, such as Instagram and Facebook.
- Download InShot from the Apple Store. InShot is available for that, so you don’t have to pay anything.
- InShot will prompt you to select a video import option once you have finished downloading
- After the import is complete, you will be able to edit it, trim it, or play with various visual and audio effects easily.
- If you’re done editing your photograph or video, click the “Save” button, and the export process will begin. The video will be saved directly to your Photos app once the export has finished.
How to Crop a Video on iPhone for all Social Media Platforms?
Because every social media network has a different aspect ratio for videos, you may need to alter your video crop depending on where you want to post it.
Best Way to Crop a Video for Instagram
Instagram allows users to post videos in three separate areas. You can use Instagram Stories and IGTV to share videos or share a video as an Instagram post. The various video size restrictions for Instagram are listed below.
- Instagram Stories: Videos should be uploaded in portrait mode with a 9:16 aspect ratio and dimensions of 1080 x 1920 pixels for Instagram stories. Videos in landscape format (16:9) will also function, although they appear significantly smaller on the screen.
- Instagram posts: You can upload square (1:1), portrait (9:16), or landscape (16:9) videos to Instagram posts. The most popular video size for an Instagram feed is still square.
- IGTV: The video dimensions for IGTV should be 1080 x 1920 pixels, with a 9:16 aspect ratio. The suggested size for Instagram Stories is the same as this.
You can use the aforementioned method to crop your video according to these ratios.
Best Way to Crop a Video for Facebook, YouTube, Twitter & Snapchat
Before publishing videos to any social media platform, you can crop them using the abovementioned method. We’ve gathered a list of typical measurements and aspect ratios for Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Snapchat to make things easier.
- Facebook: You can submit movies in either portrait (9:16) or landscape (16:9) orientations to Facebook.
- Twitter: You can instantly upload landscape (1:2.39) or portrait (2.39:1) videos to Twitter.
- YouTube: Crop your videos to 16:9 in landscape orientation for YouTube.
- Snapchat: Snapchat’s primary orientation is a portrait with a 9:16 aspect ratio.
Cropping a video can give a simple video a different and beautiful makeover with an intentional start and end, a sharply edited look, and a timespan that you want. We hope you find these ways helpful, and don’t forget to give us your feedback in the comments below. Crop away!